This week we look at gender roles from a variety of sources. One in particular stood out for me- an article on school shootings, that pointed out how most of the shooters were male, white, from middle class homes in rural or suburban area, and in Republican states. All of the shooters were also reportedly "gay-baited-" meaning that other students questioned their "masculinity." The society around us celebrates and sensationalizes violence, and gives guys negative views of themselves if they stray from the so called "norms." Looking at gender roles for guys is not something that a lot of people look at, but I think that maybe taking a closer look would be a good step in helping other like movements (female and queer.)
(Food for thought- the straight boys went out and killed other people, while the gay boys recently just killed themselves. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, but I'm sure there's a point to be made... Anyone?)
It's sad that violence has recently been related to the gay boys. I think people need to learn to accept others and let them be who they are :)
ReplyDeleteReally interesting comparison. Emile Durkheim's famous suicide study focused on anomie - that is a feeling of not having (or not knowing) any norms. It creates a disillusionment with society and thus creates a higher likelihood of suicide. For straight boys who become violent, they are trying to fulfill the norms of society by proving how masculine how they are. For gay teens, they experience this anomie because they realize the norms of society and unfortunately feel that they cannot ever fit into the norms and thus cannot accept themselves or their life the way it is. The difference is that the gay teens don't want or need to prove their masculinity so the violence is not necessary. What do you think of this as a sociological interpretation of what is happening?
ReplyDelete