Thursday, October 21, 2010

Purple

Shocker. Another gay post.

But at least it applies to this week's lesson. This past Wednesday, people across America wore purple to honor the many teens who've taken their lives this past few months as a result of anti-gay bullying.  Some of the kids were still in middle school, and struggling with their identity.  Their peers harassed them to the horrific extent that they felt that suicide was their only option.

I'm gay (if any readers hadn't noticed.)  Thankfully, I've been lucky enough to never have been subjected to anti-LGBT hate directly, but I hear homophobia everyday in the hallway.

"That's so gay."
"[Blank] is such a faggot."
"You look like a queer today."

Casual remarks that further stereotypes, and further hate. Take notice to what you say, because it might be hurting someone else.

I really hate how our school, besides the GSA, doesn't offer any education about sexuality.  In health class sophomore year, when I was just coming out, that topic was completely skimmed over.  And even Wednesday, when many people wore purple, the school didn't offer any moment of silence, or recognition of the idea of combating bullying.  Nothing.

It's time for a change.

6 comments:

  1. My friend Zac and I were discussing this Purple Day on our radio show today. I think it was a great idea because it was raising awareness and shedding more light on an important issue. And it is still an issue that is uncomfortable to talk about, but I think with more time, increase talk, and younger kids growing up with the idea of gay rights, things might change. But we are still dodging the issue when we bring it up and I think more people need to confront others and press more people to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besides GSA - does sociology get any credit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, did you like my post?

    http://sociologysal.blogspot.com/2010/10/another-civil-rights-movement.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. First mention in four years... and we did only cover the bare basics. So Sociology gets a B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, maybe it's just because I've been involved, but the civil rights movement isn't a new thing. There was the Prop 8 issue which began in 2008, and then marriage in Iowa and the attempt for Maine.

    Again, maybe it's just a me thing, but if people looked, it's been in the spotlight for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the difference is that with prop 8, you had to look, but now, you don't have to look - it's everywhere. But social movements don't just happen - that prop 8 may have been the beginning and now we are just seeing the snow balling of it, but let's be realistic - there's A LOT more work to be done, right?

    ReplyDelete