In class we learned how breaking social norms can be deviant or not, depending on the situation. An act must be perceived as deviant for it to actually be deviant. For example, in the Saints and Roughnecks article, the drinking and skipping class the Saints did wasn't seen as deviant because they were upper middle class white kids who got good grade. On the other hand, the Roughnecks weren't able to hide their deviance as well, and therefore were perceived this way.
I think there are defiantly Saints and Roughnecks at our school. Because of the majority population, most of our school is Saints. But there are people perceived as Roughnecks because they happened to be caught. I think it's an unfair way of looking at people, because the people who make these judgements aren't stupid, but they conform their views to the stereotypical "good kid" and "bad kids."
I agree with you that there are definately saints and roughnecks at our school. I wish we didn't have that though, because it puts stereotypes on people. Not everyone is actually the way they are precieved. Stereotypes add to the acts of deviance, which a lot of times turn out bad.
ReplyDelete