In class we did an activity where some students pretended to be different characters on a boat, and then had to vote some off to save the rest. I wasn't one of the people on the boat, which I'm glad of, because some of the people I thought would be safe weren't.
Two of these were the pregnant cheerleader, and the poet. Killing a pregnant woman is just cruel, under any circumstances, but the poet had great sailing skills that kept being overlooked. The last vote came down between these two people, and although the poet was saved, the pregnant cheerleader was not. Our teacher told us that this was only the third time in all the years he's been teaching that this has happened. Yay feminism?
But that's the difference between macro and micro sociology. Maybe from the sidelines, I wouldn't think of getting rid of a pregnant woman. But stuck on a (pretend) boat in the middle of the ocean? I may think otherwise. I'm just glad I didn't have to choose.
This post could use a little more discussion of the sociology behind the activity and then a little more relation to something from your own experiences
ReplyDelete