Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Culture Shock

Monday in class we played a card game that turned out to be multiple card games. Confused? So were we.  Each table had a different set of rules, which we had to memorize, then play silently for a few minutes. Then the winner and the loser of a couple of rounds rotated groups to begin playing again. But as we soon found out, each table had a different set of rules, and it was really difficult to communicate and play the game. This is culture shock.

I've only been a couple of places overseas, and everytime I've gone, I've made sure to learn things about the cultures to lessen the culture shock.  But that's never possible to do. The first time I went to Israel, my family did a lot of shopping in Jerusalem, where there are many little stores in old walls and on the street.  I was shocked to see my parents, who had lived there before, arguing with the shopkeepers about price. I couldn't believe how rude they were; in America, I'd never dare haggle down a price!  But my parents explained to me that "bargening" was a custom in the Middle East, and in some places, to accept the price at face value was an insult!

Five trips later, I can haggle anyone down to at least a third of a price, smiling with the shopkeepers.

3 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to go to Israel, I want to go even more now. Haggling sounds pretty fun, America should pick up that custom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would totally be in shock too if my parents tried to haggle! You must have been so confused at first. It's cool to see how different every culture really is. Haggling in America would probably make people come off as cheap and low-class, but it's funny to think that in Israel it's the exact opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's cool that at first you didn't understand the Israeli culture, but after you learned more about it you became accustomed to their culture and participated in it.

    ReplyDelete