Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sociology of Teddy Bears

Do you still sleep with a stuffed animal?  If the answer is yes, you're not alone. According to a recent study by Travelodge hotel chain, 35% of 6000 adult surveying still sleep with a teddy bear. Also, 25% of men have one when they travel because it reminds them of home.

"One in ten single men surveyed admitted they hide their teddy bear when their girlfriend stays over and 14 percent of married men reported they hide their teddy bear in the wardrobe or under the bed when any family and friends come to visit." --ABC article

Besides for these facts being awesome, what does it mean sociologically?

The survey showed that a large factor for the soft sleep companions was stress, and that having the bear to hug lowered stress levels.

So are we all too stressed? This teenager is saying yes.  I'm just curious to know if this is a common thing, or if more people are using teddy bears these past couple of years. And with the study being sent around, are more closet teddy lovers going to come out?

Whatever this leads to, I think it's awesome. Yay teddy bears!

3 comments:

  1. I love this! I have to admit that I've slept with the same stuffed bunny for the past 15 years and I don't really ever see myself giving that up. I'm glad I'm not alone! I mean when I was three years old I didn't sleep with him because I was stressed, but who knows maybe that's why I can't break the habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! I love my teddy bear and I have adopted my brother's since he's grown up (even though he's younger than me). My teddy bears are like family and they make me happy. On top of that they just make me feel comfortable and safe. I feel bad knocking my bears off my bed so I leave them in my chair by my bed, but they still mean the world to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post - thanks for sharing what you found. You are a teacher to us all!

    ReplyDelete